The weights and measures programme aims to protect consumers and traders by regulating the use of weighing and measuring instruments for trade use by weight or measure and pre-packaged goods. View the Weights and Measures Act.
To ensure a uniform and accurate system of weights and measures in Singapore, we
- Designate Authorised Verifiers to perform verification on weighing and measuring instruments for trade use.
- Register approved pattern of weighing and measuring instruments.
- Verify and stamp/seal all new or repaired weighing and measuring instruments for trade use.
- Inspect weighing and measuring instruments used for trade purposes for inaccuracies and to ensure that they have not been tampered with. To inspect pre-packaged goods or goods sold to ensure that they are not short weight or short measure.
- Investigate complaints pertaining to weight and measure matters from consumers and traders.
SPRING Singapore also works with the Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) to protect the interests of consumers with regards to purchases that are weighed, measured or pre-packed.
No licence is required for the supply, repair and service of weighing and measuring instruments.
Download the Singapore Weights and Measures Programme Information booklet 2012 Edition
Download the list of Authorised Verifiers of weighing and measuring instruments
Download the list of Recognised Testing Laboratories
, 66kB) for the Recognised Testing Laboratory (Flowmeter) Scheme.
Download the Recognised Testing Laboratory (Flowmeter) Scheme Information Booklet 2010 Edition
Download the list of fees
Download the application form for registration of Weighing/Measuring instruments
Download the FAQs on the Weights and Measures Programme
, 42 KB)